The above phrase is what the people of Tryphilia say about the church of Metamorfosi. A Byzantine monument of the 11th century with a marble templon (modern day iconostasis) of the 12th century and depictions of the lives of saints and martyrs. It is considered to be the Aghia Sophia of the Peloponnese. In the past, it operated with 300 priests. It was built on top of the ancient temple of Zeus the Saviour and by utilizing the ancient ruins. It is a very important monument. A composite octagonal church with a nave, it is a rare and beautiful monument with cultural and religious significance. Up to 1825 the temple was fully operable until Ibrahim burned it down. Archaeological research and restoration are on-going and the monument has a lot more to reveal since it was the Byzantine seat of the Holy Metropolis of Christianopolis.
Churches dedicated to transfiguration are abundant in the area. Inside the castle of Methoni in a central point known as the "square of the arms" stands the church of Metamorfosi of 1573. A one-roomed temple with a wooden roof that was probably built during the second rule of Venice. It played the role of a Catholic church, later of a mosque and finally of an Orthodox church, recounting thus the history of this land in a concise and colourful manner.
An impressive element, however, is that a holy religious monument had similar functions with an ancient temple. A continuity is observed between the sanctuary of Zeus and the church of Metamorfosi. The ancient temple honours Zeus the Saviour who was known for his transformations into rain or a different person, as for example when he wanted to unite with Hera, he acquired the form of a cuckoo bird, with Leda the form of a swan and he presented himself to Europe transformed into a bull. Today the Orthodox Church goes a step further by commemorating the transformation of man through the light of Mount Tabor.