The art of weaving flourished in Arnea during the Ottoman Rule and according to sources it was expanded by merchants who traveled to Constantinople and Moldovlachia. Up to 1930, weaving was at its peak and the textiles were highly in demand. The weavers were women in the majority with few men who were suitable to weave the thicker fabrics. Nowadays, this special art still exists even thought the number of traditional weavers has declined.
The museum edifice, exceptionally attuned to the densely fabric structure of Arnea, has its own history. It was a private residence of Charikleia Dimitrakoudi, a famous local weaver and it dates back to 1870. It is a stone two-storey building which was restored by the municipality.
In the ground floor the visitor sees the process of the raw materials conversion, such as the wool turning into thread with objects and tools related to the process. The first floor the visitor has the opportunity to see a traditional decorated Arnean room with the “calligraphy” carpets which were used in the decoration of the walls. The date of production as well as the initials of the weaver is written on the corner of the displays. The depicting themes were influenced by neoclassicism, historical memories as the “dance of Zalongos” and from everyday life as “the shepherdess”.