Ancient Akanthus was established in Athos peninsula of Chalcidice during the 7th c. B.C by colonists from the island of Andros. The name “Akanthus” probably derived from the regions’ thorn vegetation or after the thorn-formed shape of the wall fortification. Another aspect mentions the entomological relation between the word Akanthus and Ierissos. It is presume to the Latin translation of the word Akanthus- Cerissus –Erissos –Ierissos. The research for the necropolis had started in 1973 and since then more than 1300 tombs have been currently recorded. It dates back to the archaic period with fragmentary use to the roman period until the 17th century B.C.
Several types of tombs, such as simple or clay-coated, rectangular pits with clay urns or embossed or painting decorated, box shaped and tile roofed has been revealed in two or at least three superimposed layers. Moreover, the larger percentage of the place was covered by children and babies’ burials in jars or smaller vessels. However the most important source of information came from the great variety of funeral gifts. Clay vessels (amphorae) for the transportation of the famous “akanthio” wine, figurines depicting mostly gods, cupids, human and animal forms and personal items as jewels, pins, mirrors, strigils, needles, hooks and knifes.
Between the years 2007 -2013, a particular part of the cemetery was covered by a shelter for the in situ protection and designation of the antiquities.