The Old Mosque had the luck to be a place that would adjust to the historical circumstances. It would change use and character, but still remained a beautiful building in the heart of Nafplio. It was one of the most original mosques that were built during the first Ottoman period. It is situated at Syntagma Square next to many buildings of historical importance. In 1687, during the Venetian rule, it was transformed into a Christian church dedicated to St. Antonio of Padova. During the second ottoman period, it was used once more as a mosque. In 1833, it housed the first attempt of the organized educational system in Greece: "The monitorial school for boys". This educational method in which the achieving students would teach the younger ones, was widespread in Europe of the 19th century and gave a solution to the educational inadequacy of the newly-formed Greek state.
From a house of worship to a school, the Old Mosque was finally converted into an art space. Initially, in 1915 to a conservatory and a theatre and later into a municipal cinema. The trend in favour of French culture in the beginning of the 20th cent. offered it its name "Trianon" after the area at the royal palace and forest of Versailles. It operated as a cinema for many years, while recently, it houses the Municipal Theatre of Nafplio and hosts many productions of the Department of Theatrical Studies of the University of the Peloponnese which operates in the city.
Trianon, with its minimal, rectangular design is covered by an octagonal dome. At the entrance there are columns that support the three small domes covering it; five doors to the west, lead from the lobby to the central hall and the stage. The low drum of the central dome is adorned by symmetrical arched windows that open towards all directions. Today, the praying room houses the artistic dreams and spectacles of the city, in a venue that has passed from the mystique of praying to the mystique of art.