Legend has it that once upon a time two brothers, Andrea and Guido sons of the rich Venetian merchant Pietro Loredan came to Nafplio to find a treasure that their father had hidden when the city was under Venetian rule. After they located the treasure at the palace (saray) of the Turk Agha, he took it from them and killed the two brothers. According to the tradition, he felt remorse for his act and thus with the gold of the treasure he built the mosque in 1730.
It is a magnificent building that has a great hall and a broad dome and at its west side there was a domed arcade that was however destroyed at the beginning of the 20th century by an earthquake. It housed the first Parliament of the Greeks and here the significant decisions were made for future of the struggle for independence and the organization of the first free Greek state.
This is why it is called "Vouleftikon" from the Greek word "vouli" meaning assembly and it is known by this name until today. Then, the venue was used for various purposes. It was here that the trial of captains of the Greek revolution Theodoros Kolokotronis and Demitrios Plapoutas on the grounds of high treason took place.
Today, the "Vouleftikon" has been renovated and functions as the hall of the most significant and official events and ceremonies in Nafplio. Furthermore, it is used as a conference venue and a hall for many other cultural events. The ground floor of the building that was once a prison is decorated with important paintings by contemporary Greek artists since it is the Municipal Art Gallery.