Almost 1 km distance from the town of Ierissos, one of the most important sights of the region - the tower of Krouna - is located. It’s preserved almost in full height (13,5m), except its surrounding wall, which has almost collapsed. The monument belongs to the jurisdiction of the 10th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.
It was built during the 15th century and it is named after the alteration of the word “Koroni”. More specifically, the name "Krouna", as the famous Mount Athos documents has recorded, is a Serbian name transmitted to Greek as "Koroni". The initial origin might have been the Greek name place "Koroni" that usually refers to crows which probably have their nests there.
It was built for the protection of the entire land of “Koroni” establishments which was extended from the today church of Prophet Elias to the public road besides the sea. Furthermore, it is mentions in Ottoman documents of the 15th century as property of the famous Serbian Hilandariou monastery until 1542. According to sources, edifices as a house, a barn and stables also existed outside the tower. On the following years, the monastery lost its ownership several times but sources of the 19th century, referred that the dependency still belonged in the properties of the Hilandariou monastery.