It was built by initiative of Ioannis Fragopoulos in 1428, which makes it the last church to be inaugurated in Mystras and the Despotate of Morea, if one does not take into account the post-Byzantine addition of the aforementioned church of Agios Nikolaos. The church's architectural style is a successful, harmonious combination of both fashions followed within the castle walls. The ground floor plan is a classic basilica, whereas the upper structure is the peculiar cross-shaped church of Mystras, topped with the expected, by now, five domes.
Another unconventional, though rather successful, combination is that of Byzantine and Gothic elements, especially on the exterior of the building. Pointed arches adorn the windows, further decorated with triple rows of ceramic dentils, and limestone wreaths. The four-storey bell tower is still standing, as are all the murals, that have been preserved in rather good condition. The fountain at the courtyard of the monastery is an ideally cool spot for visitors to quench their thirst, rest, freshen up, and even meditate.