It was discovered by accident in 1822 when British engineers tried to restore the water flow of a fountain near the temple. New evidences emerge during 1911 -1914 by Wilhelm Dörpfeld, head of German excavations.
It dates back to the Late Archaic Era (510 BC). The Temple was named by the nearby homonymous “Kardaki” fountain. It is not clear to whom God was dedicated but according to local tradition it connects to the worship of Apollo, however it has not been proved with excavations. Two different aspects present the God Poseidon and Asclepius as the honored deities. It is a small Doric temple (11,91 Χ 25,5 m) with architectural particularities derived from Ionic order elements. It consists of 6 pillars in its narrow sides, 12 in its longer sides and a central rectangular shaped construction which was either an altar or the riser of a statue.