Demeter disguised as an old woman, to hide her divine nature, met the four daughters of king Keleos when they came to fill with water their urns. Then, the goddess claims that she was from Crete and she was kidnapped from pirates. She asked to find a house to work as a nurturer. The rest of the story are already known.
However, most of the times it is difficult to separate myths from facts. The first historical fact came to light in 1892 when the archaeologist D. Filios found the well and gave the first explanation for the name “Kallichoron”. The literal translation of the word “Kallichoron” means a well – shaped structure. In this case the determination of “well –shaped” is due to the excellent rounded external circles of the well’s head. This structure helped as the well for the fair dances in which the Eleusinian maidens performed dances during the ceremony in honor of the goddess. The well - head is consists of two big Eleusinian slabs connected with strong leaden joints. The internal part is also covered with exceptional ashlars, a technique which helped to date it approximately in the 6th century B.C., in addition to the rest structure has been dated on 5th century B.C. However, the issue of dating and identification of the monument still divides the scientists. Are the names “Kallichoron” and “Parthenion” which refers separately to the Homeric myths, matching to the same or another well - structure in the shrine ?
What makes it extremely important is both the key role it played through the mysteries and of course it special structure. It is built of blue – grey Eleusinian stone in the polygonal style. The mouth of the well is formed of two concentric stone rings. The Kallichoron is 1,35 meters below the level of the court, from which is separated by a surrounding wall.