It was built by the Venetians during the 16th c. and its first construction phase lasted twelve years from 1577 until 1588 under the supervision of the Venetian engineer Francisco - Ferdinanto Vitelli. The main signal of its construction was the lack of defense fortification as the Old Fortress was no longer enough to adequately protect the island for the permanent Turkish threat. According to folklore tradition, 10-15.000 workers and materials in second use, derived from approximately 2.000 houses and churches of Corfu that were demolished, were the “price” for the construction. The Venetians’ main strategic plan was to create a large dead zone between the old fortress and the city, which would help their defense better. Today, the fortress is open to the public and it also hosts the Museum of Ceramics, art exhibitions of photography, painting, sculpture, as well as concerts and other cultural events.
It could be characterized as a remarkable example of fortress architecture. It was built in two levels: The superior one, the “Bastion of the Seven Winds” reminds the Venetian age of nobles and knights as it consists of tunnels and vaulted passages. The lower bastion, which was the protector of the new harbor, includes two ramparts and the small fortress “Punta Pepretura”. There is also here a 19th. c. impressive building that accommodates the port authority.