Pine trees, olive groves and citrus groves embrace the area down to the sea, which is but a stone’s throw away. The villagers are involved with agriculture, stock-raising and fishing. In the summer months they run businesses connected with tourism, offering visitors a pleasant stay.
The settlement is associated with the modern history of Greece, as it was here that the First National Assembly of the Greeks in revolt against the Ottoman Turks decided on the first constitution of the State and established the blue-and-white flag as its emblem (20 December 1821-1 January 1822). In the village square there is the monument commemorating the First National Assembly.
Inside the castle-burg is the small eleventh-century church of St John the Theologian, while close to the village are two monasteries. The monastery of the Virgin of Agnous, also of the eleventh century, is distinguished by it fortress-like aspect and its Post-Byzantine wall-paintings, while in the monastery complex of the All Great Taxiarchs, founded in the fifteenth century, some of its old buildings survive.
The Vothyla Gorge, outside the village, is a challenge for nature-lovers. The dense vegetation at its entrance indicates that those who hike its length are few and infrequent, which is why it is advisable to have companion(s) on the adventure. In some places the trek is even, whereas in others some rock climbing is entailed. The gorge is 4 km. long and ends at the shore of Nea Epidavros. Ruined watermills and one watermill still in good condition attest that at one time water flowed in abundance here.
If you come to Nea Epidavros in June, it is well worth watching the amateur Open-Sea Yacht Race, organized in its bay. Numerous sailing boats gather here, gliding across the blue waters with their white sails unfurled.