The imposing Land Gate is a door into history. It was built in 1687 by the Venetians and was the only entrance into the city from land. A moat on the sea obstructed entry and access to the walls and entry took place by a mobile, wooden bridge. Those that didn’t make it into the city before sunset had to spend the night outside the walls. The Land Gate protected the lower district of Nafplio that was called "Varosi" (varos meaning suburb) those years. It was here that the keys of the capital of the new state were delivered to eighteen-year old King Otto.
The gate was built according to the standards of the time and has an arched design, decorated by two jambs. At the highest point of the arch there was a winged lion, the symbol of Venetian rule. Next to the left jamb there is an enclosed votive plaque that commemorates the conquering of the city by Francesco Morosini. Nafplio was liberated from one oppressor to pass to another.
The gate was knocked down gradually, while at about 1894 the moat around it was filled with soil. Today, the plaque has survived with the coat of arms of the Venetian administrator Grimani with the date 1708 and some of the architectural parts of the sculptures as the stone lion at its top, which is missing the head, the wings and the wings.