The view from the Monastery of Prodromos is one reason to visit it, the other is to participate in the women's chanting. Walking in the castle one sees the convent Aghios Ioannis Prodromos built in 1918, belonging to the sect of the old calendarists and next to it, the ruins of a Byzantine church. Stone masonry and a white dome, light and lush surroundings.
Entering its courtyard, to the right is the icon of the Baptism of Jesus and of John the Baptist, images that go side by side with Greek orthodox tradition. John the Baptist was Jesus' first friend and the first to acknowledge him, that's why he stands next to the Lord in all the depictions.
To the left, the church of Saint John dominates and next to it, the graves of monks. Blinding light, cleanliness, tranquillity, and praying are the ingredients of the decoration. Cells, guest houses, underground cisterns, icon cases and people that arrive here to unwind. There are also caves cut-out on the rock where monks probably dwelled in the past. In this sculpted rock the prayers still emanate. The most known cave is the so-called "school" that looks like a catacomb and a crypt.
The founder of the contemporary nunnery was monk Theodoulos who lived an ascetic life here. The nunnery performs mass and receives visitors with its warm hospitality and love for the people.