The city has been populated without interruption since the end of the 3rd millennium BCE in the Neolithic period until today. This is the reason why Argos is included in the Most Ancient European Towns Network. The story of mythical Perseus begins here, but also of the demi-god Hercules. The name Argos in the language of the first settlers, the Pelasgians, meant "plain" and rightly so. Its land's fertility and the extensive biodiversity are the reasons behind its infinite inhabitation. Argos was always an important centre for Greek civilization. This is confirmed by its vast theatre of a capacity of 20,000 spectators, even larger than the famous Theatre of Epidauros. It was built in the 3rd century BCE and connected to an Ancient Agora (marketplace). There, in 1829 when Kapodistrias was Governor, the 4th National Assembly took place.
To the north of Argos stands the castle, fortified since prehistoric times and that's why the Pelasgians called it "larissa" which means acropolis. The Castle of Larissa was conquered by Franks, Venetians and Turks and played an important role in the Revolution.Up there on the hill is also "Virgin Mary of the Rock" the so-called "Hidden" or "Our Lady of the oranges", since her celebration day (21/11) was connected with the time of the year that the first oranges were harvested. At the foot of the hill of Larissa lies the "Kritirion" of Argos (3rd cent. BCE) that was operating initially as the tribunal of the ancient city. Outside Argos is the Pyramid of Hellinikon (4th cent. BCE), a remnant of the system of small forts that controlled the ancient road networks.
The modern city of Argos is revealed to its visitor, interesting and nostalgic. At the Court Square, an ancient fountain at its centre and a network of cobblestoned pedestrian walks shapes the commercial centre of the city. Within a short distance is the imposing basilica, triple naved and domed, devoted to the patron saint of Argos, St. Peter. Moreover, the neo-classical building of the Railway Station of 1900 is a significant element of the modern history of Argos since it used to be a hub of people and products commuting from and to Athens and the rest of the Peloponnese.