It is housed in a century old building dated back in 1891. It still has the infrastructure and tools from back them. It is the oldest soap factory in Greece and it has been entitled as an industrial heritage monument since 2008.
The history of the soap factory started in Zakynthos in 1850. The cousins Apostle Patounis and Spiros Bazaka who, until then, made capes of goat wool for the army of Napoleon III, made contact with the famous soap of Marseille and learned the production process. Years later, they split their business and the Patounis soap factory having the island of Corfu as headquarters, captures almost five generations of factory’s operation.
With outstanding respect to the initial form of the building and the equipment, the Patounis family proceed to suitable restorations works and new mechanical equipment additions as large tanks for oil mixtures, scales, grater and portable molds. The preservation of the business, give us the opportunity to study through the architectural elements, the evolution of soap and layout of different areas of the craft.